Cork City Council has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to your privacy. By visiting corkcity.ie, corkcity.eu, catharchorcai.ie, catharchorcai.eu, corkcitycouncil.ie, corkcitycouncil.com, corkcitycouncil.eu, comhairlecathrachchorcai.ie, comhairlecathrachchorcai.eu, cork.ie, cork.eu, corcaigh.ie, corcaigh.eu, corkcorp.ie, corkcorp.com, corkcorporation.ie, corkcitylibrary.ie, corkcitylibrary.com, corkcitylibraries.ie, corkcitylibraries.com, leabharlannacatharachchorcai.ie, corklibrary.ie, corklibrary.com, corklibraries.ie, corklibraries.com, yearoftheconstantreader.ie, corkpastandpresent.ie, corkpastandpresent.com, corkpastandpresent.net, corkcityfirebrigade.ie, ccfb.ie, corkcitydb.com, corkcdb.ie, corkcdb.com, corkcitydb.ie, parkandride.ie, parknride.ie, blackash.ie, accesscork.ie, corkfoyer.ie, corkdocklands.ie, corkcitydevelopmentplan.ie, corkcity.ie/casp, corkheritageopenday.ie, corkarchives.ie, corkarchives.ie/merchantcity, corkcitymarathon.ie, corkcitymarathon.net, corkcitymarathon.com, corkmarathon.ie, lifetimelab.ie, jacklynchtunnel.ie, jacklynchtunnel.com, smilesproject.ie, corkstpatricksfestival.ie, englishmarket.ie, englishmarketcork.ie, corkcityheritage.ie, cork2005.ie, corkarts.ie, visitcorkireland.ie, corkcity.ie/doglicensing, corkparking.ie or any sub-sites of the above you are deemed to accept the practices set out and described in this Privacy Statement.
This Statement relates to our privacy practices in connection with the aforementioned websites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of other websites. Some technical terms used in this Statement are explained at the end of this page.
Cork City Council fully respects your right to privacy. We will not collect any personal information about you on this website without your clear permission. Any information, which you volunteer to Cork City Council's websites will be treated with the highest possible standards of security and confidentiality, strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Acts, 1988 & 2003.
The information we learn from customers helps us personalise and continually improve your online experience at Corkcity.ie and our other websites. The following are the types of information we gather:
We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of the features of our websites. When you register for online forms etc., we require personal information (like your name, email address, etc.). We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customising our online services for you, improving our online services, and communicating with you.
Where a user voluntarily provides personal information, the data will be used for analysis, research or customer service purposes only. Any personal data provided by you to us will be held in accordance with the data protection principles set out in the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003, the Electronic Commerce Act, 2000 and other relevant EU and Irish legislation.
If you register on our site you may be given an option to send online forms with your email address. Your email address will only be used for the purpose of the form and sent only to the specific people dealing with the relevant form.
In the event of online payment being processed via the Cork City Council website we do not store any record of your credit card or laser number. Any credit or debit card data is transferred directly from your computer to our card services partners’ server over a secure, encrypted connection.
Cork City Council assures you that the identity of all who contact us through this website is kept confidential. We do not rent, sell, or exchange mailing lists, or otherwise disclose such information to third parties, except as may be required by law, or through voluntary co-operation with law enforcement authorities if we judge that such co-operation is necessary to combat fraud or other crime.
Cork City Council will make no attempt to identify individual visitors or to associate the technical details listed above with any individual, except in cases where criminal activity has taken place (i.e. in response to a "hacking" incident). It is the policy of Cork City Council never to disclose such technical information in respect of individual website visitors to a third party (except to law-enforcement bodies and then only in response to illegal activity such as "hacking"; also our Internet Service Provider which records such data on our behalf and which is bound by confidentiality provisions in this regard), unless obliged to disclose such information by a rule of law. The technical information will be used only by Cork City Council, and only for statistical and other administrative purposes. You should note that technical details, which we cannot associate with any identifiable individual, do not constitute "personal data" for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, 1988 & 2003.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide security while you access your online payment account information.
The "Help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of Corkcity.ie’s account-based features, and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
‘Alert Services’ means Cork City Council’s Public Alert SMS and/or Public Alert Email and/or The Jack Lynch Tunnel Alert. It is possible to subscribe by email or SMS or by both methods to receive Cork City Council Public Alerts and/or Jack Lynch Tunnel Alerts or both.
1. The information contained within Cork City Council’s SMS and Email Public Alert Services (‘Alert Services’) is of a condensed and general information nature only. Subscribers to each/either or any of the Alert Services and users thereof are advised to verify, by direct and live contact with Cork City Council, any information on which they may wish to rely. The information should not, by itself, be relied upon in determining legal rights or other decisions. Cork City Council formally disclaims all liability in respect of such aforesaid matters.
2. Cork City Council does not assume legal or other liability for any inaccuracy, delay, omission, mistake, misstatement or any other error of whatsoever nature that may be contained in the Alert Services.
3. Cork City Council is not the source of the information contained in forwarded weather alerts. Content is provided by Met Éireann and is forwarded to those who subscribe to our SMS alert system as a service
4. Due to the nature of interactive services and the Internet generally, Cork City Council gives no warranty or commitment that the use of the said Alert Services will be free from interruptions or errors and Cork City Council shall have no responsibility or liability in respect of or arising out of any communication or network defects, breakdown, malfunction, error, delays or failures (whether temporary or otherwise) encountered by users while using the Alert Services.
5. Cork City Council shall have no liability to the subscriber or user either in contract or in tort for any loss suffered by the user resulting from the use of the Alert Services.
1. Alert Services is a service intended to provide to subscribers, via SMS alert messages and/or by way of email, notification of possible road closures, traffic arrangements, water outages and potential emergency and/or risks of a severe natural disaster and/or climatic events relevant to particular locations within the area of the Local Authority based on information from publicly available sources and from information within the control of Cork City Council.
2.Subscription and Unsubscription
3. The cost for subscribing and unsubscribing to each service via SMS is charged at the standard SMS rate. The cost to subscribe to the SMS service online is nil. The cost for subscribing for email alert notification is nil. The cost to subscribers to receive Alert Service SMS and email messages is nil.
4. By subscribing to the Alert Services, the subscriber agrees and acknowledges that all reasonable endeavours will be taken to provide informational alerts via SMS or Email to subscribers at the earliest possible opportunity where possible and as soon as practicable. The subscriber agrees and acknowledges that the messaging media utilised for this service is neither in real-time nor instantaneous.
5. Subscribers and users of Alert Services are also advised to use other information mediums such as radio broadcasts in conjunction with this service to verify the accuracy of this service.
6. Subscribers and users of Alert Services agree and acknowledge that they are individually responsible for updating their registered contact details should their details change at any time during the course of their subscription to either or both services.
7. Subscribers and users of Alert Services expressly agree that the Service Provider duly appointed by Cork City Council and Cork City Council as an entity are not responsible for any loss or damage suffered incurred or sustained in connection with the Alert Service. This includes, but is not limited to, any loss or damage arising from:-
8. Subscribers agree that by subscribing to Alert Services they consent to their contact information being collected for the purposes of providing Alert Services SMS and Email notifications from Cork City Council. Cork City Council has appointed a service provider for the purposes of sending SMS Text messages to allow SMS messages to be sent to advise and inform subscribers of notification of possible road closures, traffic arrangements, water outages and potential emergency and/or risks of a severe natural disaster and/or climatic events relevant to particular locations within the area of the Local Authority based on information from publicly available sources and from information within the control of Cork City Council. Cork City Council and the Service Provider agree that subscriber details will not be disclosed in conjunction with any other 3rd Party or Cork City Council or Service Provider application or service. Cork City Council employs security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. Unless required to do so by law, subscribers and users information will not be sold, shared or distributed without prior consent.
9. Subscribers and users of the Alert Service shall be deemed to be aware that this is not a “service” within the meaning of the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Acts and subscribers and users will be deemed to agree on subscription to the Alert Service either via SMS or email or both that such information is merely a transmission of publicly available information via other sources and is of a condensed nature for informational purposes only.
10. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the Laws of the Republic of Ireland.
Rarely. In cases where there is a statutory requirement to share information with a government agency or other local authority or where your information must be shared with another agency in order to answer a customer query, then the minimum amount of information required will be shared in an appropriate manner. Generally, information is shared with other agencies as an aggregate rather than as a specific piece of data. For example, Cork City Council must make annual landfill returns which include the total tonnage collected but would not include information on individual customers utilising our refuse collection services.
We may choose to release automatic information (see above) and other information received to the website to companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Information of this type will only be shared about users who have caused or attempted to cause damage to Corkcity.ie or other council websites. This type of information would be shared only as a result of “hacking” attacks, fraud or other illegal activities.
We do not collect credit card information or other payment methods via this website. All transactions are completed via a third party online payment processing engine to ensure maximum protection for your account information.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using our online payments Account Viewer tool and to sign off from your computer when using a shared computer.
Corkcity.ie and the other council websites will make as much public information available online as possible in order to improve the transparency of our organisation.
In order to make more information easier to find for our users, Corkcity.ie and the other Council websites link to content owned and hosted by other local authorities, government agencies, companies, organisations, etc.. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of other websites. We link to other websites that provide information relevant to members of the public living in Cork and to websites whose content we think would be of interest or assistance to those planning a visit to Cork. Cork City Council makes no promises or recommendations about the quality of services provided by groups owning linked websites.
The piece of software you use to read web pages. Examples are Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator and Opera.
The identifying details for your computer (or your Internet company’s computer), expressed in "internet protocol" code (for example 192.168.55.124). Every computer connected to the web has a unique IP address, although the address may not be the same every time a connection is made.
You should be aware that where you link to another website from the Cork City Council or other Council websites, that Cork City Council has no control over that other website. Cork City Council has no responsibility for the privacy practices of other websites.
Cork City Council reserves the right at its sole discretion to amend this privacy statement at any time, and you should regularly check this privacy statement for any amendments.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this or another Cork City Council website or your dealings with this or another Cork City Council website, you can contact:
Cork City Council,